Costs of Non-surgical Periodontal Treatment
Periodontal disease is a common condition that damages the health of the gums and increases the risk of serious dental complications, including tooth loss. When periodontal disease is detected in its early stages, it can be safely and effectively treated through minimally invasive, non-surgical methods.
Dr. Stephen J. Malki offers several non-surgical periodontal treatments that have proven effective in restoring gum health and eliminating infection. These treatments are safer than surgical treatment and much more affordable for our patients. Patients who are suffering from various stages of gum disease can learn more about non-surgical periodontal treatment costs at our River Edge, NJ practice. Dr. Malki is happy to personalize a treatment plan that will best meet the unique needs and desires of each of his patients.
Non-surgical Periodontal Treatments
Unless periodontal disease is extremely advanced, Dr. Malki always opts for conservative, non-surgical periodontal treatment. These treatments have fewer risks of complications than surgical treatment options, and can be just as effective in eliminating gum infection so that new, healthy tissues can thrive. Dr. Malki offers the following three forms of non-surgical periodontal treatment:
- Scaling and root planing: Scaling and root planing is a deep cleaning procedure that allows Dr. Malki to reach beneath the gum line to remove the plaque and tartar buildup that causes gum disease. This procedure is similar to a regular dental cleaning, only much more thorough.
- Antibacterial irrigation: If scaling and root planing is not sufficient treatment to eliminate infection, Dr. Malki can perform antibacterial irrigation. During this procedure, the gums are rinsed with a strong antibacterial solution that will help rid the tissues of infection.
- Medication: A final means of non-surgical periodontal treatment is oral medication. An oral antibiotic can further ensure that all traces of infection are eliminated.
Costs of Non-surgical Periodontal Treatments
Patients often want to know the costs of non-surgical periodontal treatments. The exact amount spent by each patient will vary. There are a number of factors that go into determining the costs of non-surgical periodontal treatment, including:
- How far the gum disease has progressed
- What portion of the mouth is being treated (we can treat certain quadrants, or the entire mouth)
- Which combination of treatments are used
- Whether or not repeat treatment is necessary
- How much payment comes out-of-pocket vs. how much insurance coverage is available
At a consultation with Dr. Malki, he will examine the patient and determine the most appropriate line of treatment. Treatment is most likely to begin with a root planing and scaling procedure. This deep cleaning can cost anywhere between $100 and $1000 per quadrant. If we determine that antibacterial irrigation is necessary, that will add to the cost of treatment. Typically, irrigation costs between $30 and $90 per tooth. Finally, oral antibiotics may be prescribed. The cost of this medication is typically pretty reasonable, especially if the patient has dental insurance.
In all, the costs of non-surgical periodontal treatment can be substantial, but they are far less than surgical treatment. Additionally, the risk of additional complications or infections is less with non-surgical treatment than with surgery. This saves patients from the potential costs of additional treatments and procedures.
If you have questions about non-surgical periodontal treatment options and how much they cost, contact us at your earliest convenience to set up a personal consultation. Upon creating a customized treatment plan, we are happy to go over exact costs with our patients and explore options such as insurance, credit, and payment plans to find a solution that will make non-surgical periodontal treatment an affordable option for all our patients.