Should You Choose Dental Bonding?
If you have overall healthy teeth and gums, bonding can be an easy way to improve the look of your smile. In particular, you may be a candidate for bonding if you have:
- Chipped or cracked teeth
- Gaps between teeth
- Minor dental erosion
- Small or irregularly shaped teeth
- Dental stains that are too severe for routine whitening
- Slight alignment issues that do not require orthodontic treatment
Bonding can be used to treat a single tooth or several teeth at once.
Although bonding is usually considered a cosmetic treatment, it can also be used for restorative purposes. In fact, it is the same material used for tooth-colored dental fillings. If you have one or more small fractures, bonding can hide the damage and keep the crack from growing. However, if you already have a large crack, you will likely need an inlay, onlay, or dental crown.
The Benefits of Dental Bonding
One of the great benefits of dental bonding is that it can address several cosmetic concerns. Other benefits include:
- Convenience: Although porcelain veneers offer many unique benefits, dental bonding can provide faster results since it typically only requires one appointment.
- Conservative treatment: Unlike veneers, bonding does not require the removal of enamel.
- Affordability: Bonding material costs far less than porcelain. In this way, bonding can be an easily affordable means of deciding if you wish to eventually receive porcelain veneers.
It is important to note that porcelain typically lasts longer than composite. Many feel that porcelain veneers provide a more natural-looking result. Dr. Malki will explain the benefits and compromises of both treatments during your private consultation. He can also help you determine if bonding is a good option to include in a full smile makeover.
The Dental Bonding Process
Dental bonding is an efficient and simple process that involves minimal preparation. To begin, Dr. Malki will choose a shade of composite that matches your smile. Then he will roughen the front of your teeth with an etching solution that helps the material bond to the tooth surface.
With bonding, you can achieve a beautiful, symmetrical smile in just one appointment.
Next, Dr. Malki will apply the composite in layers to achieve the desired effect. He will harden the material with a curing light and gently buff the treatment areas to achieve a smooth, natural-looking surface. Dr. Malki can then make any final adjustments to ensure your comfort and satisfaction.
Enhance Your Smile
With bonding, you can achieve a beautiful, symmetrical smile in just one appointment. Contact our office online or call (201) 646-0800 to schedule a consultation and find out if this treatment is right for you.